New Zealand Playwright Residency Programme
Playwrights’ Studio, Scotland
Deadline: 30 January 2018 at 17:00
Magnetic North, Playwrights’ Studio, Scotland and Playmarket New Zealand are delighted to announce the second year of an international exchange between the two countries.
Applications are now invited from experienced mid-career or established playwrights based in Scotland for a residency in New Zealand for 12 weeks from end May/June 2018.
An inter-connected part of the residency will be the first international iteration of Magnetic North’s Rough Mix programme.
Within the 12 weeks, the playwright will receive:
– A writing commission of £7,268 (the FST/SSP rate for a play of 60 to 90 minutes)
– A one-week writing residency at Strathean Retreat in Te Horo with Playmarket New Zealand
– The opportunity to be part of the first Rough Mix in New Zealand
– Script development opportunities, including a work-in-progress presentation of their work
– A stipend of £400 per week to cover living costs
– Accommodation and travel costs covered and arranged by Playmarket and Playwrights’ Studio
– Space and protected time to write
– Exposure to, and creative engagement with, the work of New Zealand artists
– Facilitated business meetings and networking opportunities.
The playwright will be hosted as a Playwright-in-Residence by a New Zealand theatre company. The company will commission a play from the selected playwright who will be accommodated for up to 12 weeks to write in the home base of that company. The commission agreement will specify dates of delivery. The theatre company will be encouraged to produce the resulting play, but it is expected that the commissioning company will, at minimum, arrange a reading of the work in development.
Background to Residency
This is the reciprocal stage of a playwright exchange between Scotland and New Zealand. It builds on a hugely successful pilot in 2016, where New Zealand playwright Arthur Meek was Writer-in-Residence with Magnetic North. The resulting play, Erewhon, was subsequently produced by Magnetic North and Christchurch Festival in 2017. It is part of a wider strategy cultivated by the partners over a number of years to encourage the exchange of creative ideas, voices and forms between two distinctive yet synergistic communities of international artists.
Find out more about the application process for New Zealand Playwright Residency Programme on the Playwrights’ Studio, Scotland website.
Location: All Scotland ,International
For further information, please contact email@example.com (firstname.lastname@example.org), or call 0141 3324403, or visit http://www.playwrightsstudio.co.uk/projects/international/new-zealand/new-zealand-playwright-residency-programme.aspx#.WjD41FVl_ct
The deadline is Tuesday 30 January 2018 at 17:00.